About the Summer School
HCI (human-computer interaction) is the study of how people interact with computers and to what extent computers are or are not developed for successful interaction with human beings. With the increasing popularity of information technology users, people have put forward various personalized requirements on how to use the technology. Thus, human-computer interaction has gradually attracted extensive attention from academia and the business community, and there is a greater need for understanding research in these areas.
ACM SIGCHI (https://sigchi.org/) is the premier international society for professionals, academics and students who are interested in human-technology and human-computer interaction (HCI). ACM SIGCHI has been organising several conferences and events related to human-computer interaction (HCI). The CHI conference is the premier international conference of Human-Computer Interaction (see the latest edition here: https://chi2019.acm.org/). In year 2021, the CHI conference will be organised in Asia.
In this context, ACM SIGCHI Asian Development Committee would like to increase its engagement with researchers and practitioners from Asia. We are organizing this summer school to support SIGCHI's goal of encouraging researchers from Asia. This summer school will enable Asian researchers, especially national researchers, to frame their research and take active part in the CHI research community. The venue of the summer school will be in Nanjing and the dates will be July 18-23, 2019.
In order to provide a deep insight into HCI research, this summer school is divided into two sessions.
- In the first session, a dozen of domestic and foreign academic and industrial experts are invited to bring frontier lectures on different topics; this session will last 3-4 days, with 3-4 speakers each day.
- The second session will be lectures on CHI Paper Writing, which will last about 2-3 days.
Call for Participation
The summer school is open to students and researchers from both industry and academia. we encourage participants with a strong interest and some experience in HCI research. Please submit your application to attend the summer school through the online application form. The ACM SIGCHI Asian Development Committee is also planning similar summer schools in India.
We are able to sponsor attendance awards for a limited number of full-time students. These awards will cover the accommodation and travel expenses. These awards will be granted on a discretionary basis depending on need and expected benefit of attending the summer school. Please highlight your need for support on the application form. Students in western China, such as Guizhou, Gansu etc. will receive priority funding.
Registration Fee: this event is FREE!
Application Form: https://www.wjx.cn/jq/39753076.aspx
- Application deadline - June 20th, 2019
- Notification of acceptance - June 25th, 2019
- Summer school - July 18th-23rd, 2019
Initial list of speakers
- Dai Guozhong, Institute of Software Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Liu Zhengjie, Dalian Maritime University
- Hua Qingyi, Northwest University
- Ren Xiangshi, Kochi University of Technology
- Tian Feng, Institute of Software Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Yu Chun, Tsinghua University
- Weng Dongdong, Beijing Institute of Technology
- Gao Ge, Lenovo
- Zhao Shengdong, National University of Singapore
- Kuai Shuguang, East China Normal University
- Janet Read, University of Central Lancashire
- Keith Vertanen, Michigan Tech
- Kaveh Bazargan, ACM Distinguished Speaker
- Maria Wolters, University of Edinburgh
- ... to be added
- CCF Technical Committee of HCI (TCHCI)
- ACM SIGCHI China Chapter
- International Chinese Association of Computer Human Interaction (ICACHI)
- State Key Laboratory for Novel Software Technology at Nanjing University
- Software Institute, Nanjing University
In case of queries, please get in touch with us.
- Fan Xiangmin: email@example.com
- Feng Guihuan: firstname.lastname@example.org
No. 22 Hankou Road, Nanjing, Gulou Campus of Nanjing University